Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rocky Bleier - The Unknown Sponsor of my Athletic Career

Cheating and steroids makes you a coward.  Being an underdog who becomes successful based on worth ethic and heart makes you a hero.

Over the past week or so I have tried to come up with a blog about how upset I have been with sports lately.  I've deleted a handful of them because I felt like all I was doing was attacking PED's, the athletes that take them, and writing what I felt it takes to make a real athlete. What sparked this topic was the MLB's recent Biogenesis sweep, and NASCAR's recent Chase for the Sprint Cup scandal.



Instead of talking about things that have made me upset with sports, I decided to write about a man who I have always idolized and who I consider to be a hero in the tainted world of professional athletes. That man, is Rocky Bleier.
Rocky Bleier - Photo Courtesy of blogs.militarytimes.com

Rocky's story is one that you can read up on if you're interested, by looking online or purchasing his book Fighting Back.  Or even by watching the short YouTube film below.


Many people may wonder how the heck it came to be that my sports idol is someone who played years before I was even born.  Well, it so happened that when I was in the 8th grade, my dad gave me his book.  He figured that because I was not only into football, but into history as well, that I would find his story interesting.  Needless to say, my love for Rocky Bleier was born that day.  
 
I was completely blown away by the fact that a man could have part of his foot blown off by a grenade, struggle with just the simple task of being able to walk again, and still had the heart and determination to push on and get back to where he was physically before the accident.  He was told he would likely struggle to walk for the rest of his life.  His book talks about the struggle he went through every day to try and prove the doctors wrong.  The important thing is - he did it.  He fought back, and pushed through everything, so that he could rejoin the Steelers and go back to being a professional football player.  Not only that, but he assisted the Steelers with their four Super Bowls in the 70's era.
 
When did I really realize how much his story impacted me?  I was a thrower on the track team in high school.  My freshmen year I injured my shoulder, and didn't tell anyone for a few days.  The only reason people found out was when it became blatantly obvious that I was struggling to move my shoulder, let alone try to throw an object.  A few people tried to tell me I need to stop throwing, and that my shoulder was never going to fully heal.  I was only a freshmen, and I really wanted to throw.  I was never an athletic person, and I had finally found an event that not only was I good at, but I loved. Throwing became my stress reliever, my passion.  I couldn't give it up just because of a busted shoulder.
 
So who did I think of? Mr. Rocky Bleier of course.  Now, I am in no way shape or form comparing my minor shoulder problem to having half my foot blown off in war.  But I can tell you that his story is what drove me to not only stick with it and battle through it, but it drove me to accomplish two goals that I set as a freshmen.  The first, was to break the Templeton High School discus record, and the second was to get Female Field Athlete of the Year by my senior year.  

Unfortunately, during my final meet of my senior year, I injured my shoulder pretty bad.  I was on my third of four throws in the shot put, when my shoulder just snapped.  They thought it may have just been a bicep tear, but they weren't sure.  I came to Slippery Rock University with every intention of competing with the Rock Athletics Track Team, but my body had other plans.  My shoulder continued to get worse, and I ended up home for the Thanksgiving break, and found out that I may have torn the biceps tendon, needed surgery and would probably never throw again.  The pain I felt was almost unbearable - more mentally than physically.  It took months, but I finally came to terms with the fact that I would more than likely never throw again.  For once, I felt like I might have a small taste of what Rocky felt.
 
In the end, Rocky's story is what made me push through everything.  If it wasn't for his story when I was younger, I may not have accomplished everything I did while I was in high school.  I probably would never have even tried to compete at a collegiate level either.
 
I haven't touched a shot put or a discus since my surgery (which for anyone who cares ended up not being as severe as they thought.  They said I could possibly throw again, but it would take time to build back up.  After finally coming to terms with losing throwing, I didn't think it was something I could put myself through again).  I have hopes that one day I can pick it up again, just for fun.  But still to this day, I thank Rocky Bleier for being a crucial reason why I stuck out what I did.  He was the reason I pushed through my high school years, when people thought I couldn't do it.  Because if Rocky could win the Super Bowl after being told he may never walk again, I could push through a small shoulder injury and accomplish my dreams too.
 
Rocky, is an example of a hero that I think every young athlete should have.  Someone who they can look up to, who can inspire them to do great things, and who accomplished things based upon their hard work and determination. If you're lucky, you might even get a chance to meet that athlete that inspired you, and even thank them for it.  Just like I got to do with Rocky last April.
Rocky Bleier and me at Steelers Fan Blitz 2013 - One of the greatest moments in my 21 years of living on this planet.
 
So my question for all of you out there is this: WHO inspires you? WHY do they inspire you? The person might not be a professional athlete.  It could be a genius like Steve Jobs, a musical inspiration like John Lennon.  Please comment on this blog post and share your stories!  

No comments:

Post a Comment